Your COE application packet must include:
- Completed COE application.
- Cover letter specifying any COE criteria that do not apply to your school district.
- COE Checklist.
- Mandatory if the school district is applying for the first time, received a conditional or denied award from the most recent submission, or did not submit the previous year.
- Optional if the school district does not fit the criteria above, but still highly recommended.
- Reviewer comments from the previous year and your school district’s responses.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) document or a link to your CAFR.
Submitting your COE application packet:
- Attach each of the required application documents as separate PDFs or links.
- Include payment information. (Email submissions must be paid by credit card.)
- Email to COE@asbointl.org.
- Submit three flash drives, each containing separate PDFs of each required document
Three hard copies of the complete application packet.
- Include payment information. (Mailed submission may be paid by check or credit card.)
- Mail to ASBO International
- Certificate of Excellence
- 11401 North Shore Drive
- Reston, VA 20190-4232
As a COE recipient, your district receives
- Comprehensive comments about your CAFR
- An award certificate
- A prestigious plaque
- A press release to share with local media
Any school district in the United States (including charter schools*, educational service units, colleges, and universities) that incorporates the COE criteria into its CAFR is eligible to apply.
*Charter schools are encouraged to apply if they report under GASB standards and incorporate into the document all applicable requirements of a CAFR.
Application fees are based on your district’s total revenue.
|Total District Revenue, All Funds
|Under $10 million
|$10 - $25 million
|$25 - $50 million
|$50 - $100 million
|$100 - $250 million
|$250 million - $1 billion
|Over $1 billion
If this is your first time applying and your application does not meet the COE requirements, we'll waive your application fee for the following year.
Deadlines & Extensions
All COE application materials are due within six months of your district’s fiscal year end.
Need an extension?
|Fiscal Year End
Submit a request to COE@asbointl.org