Earning Your SFO
Certification Is Within Your Reach
||Ready to prove your skills, experience, and knowledge with the profession’s most prestigious designation? Start your path to the Certified Administrator of School Finance and Operations® (SFO®) certification today!
||See why other school business officials find the SFO so valuable.
Steps to Certification
1. Meet Eligibility Requirements
Review the SFO Candidate Handbook
for details about certification and meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Master’s degree in a field related to school business + 2 years of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to school business + 3 years of experience.
- Completion of an ASBO affiliate workshop that covers the SFO Exam Competencies + 3 years of experience.
- 7 years as a school business official, based on approval of the seasoned practitioner provision.
2. Submit Your Application
- Complete the initial SFO application and submit application fee.
- Track your certification status.
- Save the authorization email that will arrive within 10 business days of submitting your exam application. You’ll need this email to schedule your exam. You must take the exam within five months of receiving your authorization email.
3. Take the Exam
- Prepare for the exam using these resources.
- Schedule your exam at a Pearson VUE SFO testing center using your SFO candidate ID number found in the authorization email.
- Take your exam on site at the 2020 Annual Conference & Expo, October 2–5, in Nashville, Tennessee. Contact Certification@asbointl.org by July 31, 2020 to make arrangements for SFO on Site.
4. Maintain Your New Credential!
Meet the standards for recertification every three years.