Scheduling, Taking, and Passing the Exams
Once you’ve met eligibility requirements for the Certified Administrator of School Finance and Operations® (SFO®), you’re ready to move forward to exam preparation and testing.
Use the Exam Guidebook to review competency areas covered in the exam and chart your study outline.
- 150 multiple-choice questions
- 3 1/2 hours
- Computer-based exam in English only*
*In some instances the exam may be administered via pencil and paper.
- Management of Accounting Systems (13.33%)
- Management Accounting Functions (26.67%)
- Financial Planning and Analysis (15.33)
- Budgeting and Reporting Activities (10.67%)
- Risk Management Activities (7.33%)
- Management of School Facilities (7.33%)
- Management of Information Systems (4%)
- Management of Human Resource Functions (10.67%)
- Management of Ancillary Services (4.67%)
Scheduling the SFO Exam
To apply to take the SFO remote proctored exam, log into SFO Access (Prolydian) and:
- Create your profile (if you are a new account user).
- Use the Forms section to apply, submit payment, and track your activities.
- Look for an authorization email to arrive within 2 business days of submitting your SFO application.
You may cancel or reschedule up to 48 hours before your appointment at no cost. If, however, you cancel your appointment with less than 48 hours notice, or if you miss your appointment, show up late or provide inadequate identification, you will not be able to make a new appointment without paying an additional testing fee.
*Exam eligibility is valid for one year from the date of your application approval. Candidates may retest once during that time frame.
Passing the SFO Exam
- Scores are available within 24-72 hours after taking the exam, unless a problem occurred during the exam administration.
- Candidates who pass the exam receive a grade of “Pass” only. No numeric score is provided.
- Candidates who do not pass receive a grade of “Fail” and a scaled numeric score, ranging from 250 to 599. (Scores of 600 or more are passing scores.)
Refer to the SFO Candidate Handbook for important details on test procedures, special accommodations, and retesting.
Using Your Credential
Once you’ve passed the exam, congratulations—you’ve earned your SFO! Now, make the most of your prestigious credential with these essential tips for SFO certificants.