Scheduling, Taking, and Passing the Exams
Once you’ve met eligibility requirements for the Certified Administrator of School Finance and Operations® (SFO®), you’re ready to move forward to exam preparation and testing.
Use the Exam Guidebook to review competency areas covered in the exam and chart your study outline.
- 150 multiple-choice questions
- 3 1/2 hours
- Computer-based exam in English only*
*In some instances the exam may be administered via pencil and paper.
- Management of Accounting Systems (13.33%)
- Management Accounting Functions (26.67%)
- Financial Planning and Analysis (15.33)
- Budgeting and Reporting Activities (10.67%)
- Risk Management Activities (7.33%)
- Management of School Facilities (7.33%)
- Management of Information Systems (4%)
- Management of Human Resource Functions (10.67%)
- Management of Ancillary Services (4.67%)
Scheduling the SFO Exam
To apply to take the exam, log into My SFO® Manager and:
*Exam eligibility is valid for one year from the date of your application approval. Candidates may test twice during that time frame (or retest once if their first exam attempt was unsuccessful).
- Create your profile.
- Use the Forms section to apply, submit payment, and track your activities.
- Look for an authorization email to arrive within 10 business days of submitting your SFO application.
- Use your SFO candidate ID number found in the authorization email, schedule your exam at a Pearson VUE SFO testing center.
- Take the exam within five months of receiving your authorization email.*
Taking the SFO Exam
- Arrive at the testing center at least 30 minutes before your scheduled exam time.
- Present two valid forms of identification:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Signature ID, with matching full name and signature
Review acceptable forms of ID and details on test center rules in the SFO Candidate Handbook
Passing the SFO Exam
- Scores are available immediately after taking the exam, unless the exam is administered on paper. In this case, allow six weeks for exam results.
- Candidates who pass the exam receive a grade of “Pass” only. No numeric score is provided.
Candidates who do not pass receive a grade of “Fail” and a scaled numeric score, ranging from 250 to 599. (Scores of 600 or more are passing scores.)
- Official score reports are sent from Pearson VUE via email within five business days of taking the exam.
Refer to the SFO Candidate Handbook for important details on test procedures, special accommodations, and retesting.
Using Your Credential
Once you’ve passed the exam, congratulations—you’ve earned your SFO! Now, make the most of your prestigious credential with these essential tips for SFO certificants.